Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wedding Invitation

Mount Vernon, Baltimore
This is the second wedding invitation, in my new Wednesday series.  Each week I will feature a new invitation in my expanding collection, which can be viewed at my Etsy shop 

Today I am featuring two versions of an invitation, which is in the design process for a dear friend who will wed this spring.  Her fiance proposed to her at the Washington Monument in Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood.  They wanted an invitation, which would reflect that part of their story.  After developing a few initial concepts they liked this design, which features the Washington Monument, Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church, and the Lafayette Monument.   

 
After executing the initial watercolor painting without sky, I realized that one could achieve very different results with the addition of washes for the sky.  The warm evening sky adding to the whimsy of the design,  the version without sky more minimal and modern.  


It was a delight to design and execute this invitation as I lived in Mount Vernon during my two years in Baltimore and I'm very fond of the neighborhood.  These images hold a certain nostalgia for me and I'm sure for me and I'm sure for many residents of Charm City.


Have you visited Mount Vernon?  Which invitation do you prefer?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment