Friday, November 26, 2010

Featured Artist

 Lynda D'Souza
     Welcome to Lynda D’Souza, who is the next artist in the featured artist series.  She is an oil painter who aims to capture the essence of the subject while interpreting it in a more impressionistic style.  Lynda has been making art in different forms for the last 15 years. Faux wall finishes, stained glass painting, mosaics, ceramic painting and murals are some of the media she has sampled. In a professional capacity she has designed exhibition stands, corporate backdrops and even designed high fashion garments. 10 years ago her husband gifted her a canvas and box of oil paints on the birth of her first daughter and she hasn’t stopped creating original art since. Lynda has a passion for all things vintage, fashion related and portraits, and this is reflected in her choice of subjects. Her vast travels have influenced her perception of the world and she strives to bring out the beauty of her subjects......even if it is a simple ‘teapot’.  
     Her original oil paintings can be found in private collections in USA, Netherlands, Australia and India. Her works can be found on Etsy and on her blog
"Rosa," oil on canvas, 10"x10," Lynda D'Souza, 2010
What inspires you about painting portraits?
     From a young age I have been doodling eyes and lips not realizing that it will come full circle to me painting portraits. I love people watching and having a degree in psychology l am constantly 'reading' people. After having tried still lifes and landscapes, portraits presented a nice challenge and one I enjoy the most...the challenge of accuracy, proportions, capturing the mood and expression.......a combination of everything that has left me wanting to excel at portrait painting.
"Vespa," oil on hardboard, 8"x10", Lynda D'Souza, 2010
What have you found most challenging or most exciting (or both) about your transition to full time artist?
     I'll start with the positive - transitioning to full life artist is 'living my dream'. I still pinch myself sometimes when I realize I am at my art school surrounded by phenomenal art, great teachers and warm & friendly colleagues. Being stress free, more present in the moment and giving my undivided attention to my children is my first goal. Being able to create everyday is more than I could ask for. I am truly grateful for this moment in my life. 
    The challenging bit is organizing my time better. I have a weakness for blogging and suddenly a whole afternoon has gone by just blog hopping. So I have resorted to giving myself a reward of 15 mins of online time provided I have completed 2 full hours at the easel. It's working....I think. 
"Shine," oil on hardboard, 8"x8," Lynda D'Souza, 2010
Many of your paintings beautifully depict everyday objects: shoes, articles of clothing, teapots and other household items, does the aesthetic of vintage fashion or décor influence these paintings, in terms of subject matter or style?
     I am drawn to vintage things and can often be found at flea markets, thrift stores and antique markets. My choice of subject matter is influenced by my love for all things with a history. I am often caught wondering who used the 50 yr old typerwriter we have at home, which deer shed those antlers .... the antlers are on our bedroom wall. To me, things of the past have a charm about them and need to be cherished accordingly.
"Baby It's Cold Outside," oil on hardboard, 8"x8,"  Lynda D'Souza, 2010
More about Lynda....
     Lynda was born in Mumbai, India after which she moved with her parents to Qatar and then Dubai, where she briefly worked in an Ad agency before her curiosity led her down the corporate route. Her job led her from Dubai to Bahrain and she now resides in Brampton, Ontario. 
     She has completed a degree in Psychology from the University of Bombay and a post grad diploma in General Management from the Leicester University, United Kingdom. After 20 years in the corporate world Lynda decided to pursue her Fine Art studies full time and quit her management job in September 2010. She is currently studying at the Academy of Realist Art (ARA), Toronto completing a 2 year program modeled on the 19th century European academies. She is living her dream...making her art....being among like minded souls and giving her full attention to her family. She encourages everyone to follow their dreams ‘now’ and seek to make yourself happy first. 
“Not only can we create art, art creates us”--Maria Eskenasy 


Many thanks to Lynda D'Souza for sharing her work with us.  
     
What do you think of her masterful portraits and beautiful depictions of ordinary objects.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment