Monday, November 1, 2010

Aran Islands, Ireland


During a recent trip to Ireland, I spent two days on Inishmore, the largest of the three Aran Islands.   The islands are located at the mouth of Galway Bay, on the west coast of Ireland.  The islands have a history of attracting and inspiring writers and artists.  I can see why.  I found the sparsely inhabited island ideal for meandering about on a bike, for marveling at the natural surroundings, and for inspiring painted work.  I made this quick sketch painting while sitting on a beach in the sun.  It was interesting to experiment with pen and watercolor painting, though this non-permanent pen was not the ideal implement (it was, however, the only one I was able to find for purchase on the island).


I'll be posting photos from the Aran Islands on my public facebook page tomorrow!


Have you visited the Aran Islands?  What did you think of them or of this painting?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment